Carbon Reduction Plan
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Databarracks Ltd is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2035.
Baseline emissions footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
|Baseline year: September 2023 - August 2022
|Additional details relating to the baseline emissions calculations
|This is our initial baseline, we will perform a reassessment after September 2023 for the year, September 2022-August 2023 which we intend to be a more accurate baseline and with which we are running a target setting project. The target setting project is already planned with Carbon Footprint Ltd, our environmental consultancy.
|Baseline year emissions:
Emissions reduction targets
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
- Changing to a fully renewable energy source in our offices as soon as our current supply contract ends in 2024, this will reduce our emissions by 30.96 tCO2e by 2025
- Our primary source of emissions is the Microsoft Azure cloud environment. They are committing to:
- 100% renewable energy by 2025
- Water positive by 2030 - replenish more water than we consume by 2030
- Zero-waste - certification by 2030
- Net-zero - deforestation from new construction (See Azure sustainability overview)
- This will reduce our own emissions by 94.89 tCO2 by 2025.
- Decommissioning one of our legacy data centres, which will reduce our emissions by 17.42 tCO2e by 2025
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 297.68 tCO2e by 2025. This is a reduction of 32.5%
Our targets can be seen in the graph below , progress against the targets will be added annually as each assessment is completed:
Carbon reduction projects
Completed carbon reduction initiatives
We engaged Carbon Footprint Ltd to assist with our environmental assessments, they analysed the information we provided (using the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard) and have underwritten the results in a report which is available for inspection if required. They will be assisting us on our route to becoming Carbon Net Zero and will be facilitating the Target Setting Project which is planned for early 2024 when the results from this current year’s analysis are complete.
All our – current – emissions have been offset through a number of projects which are all certified to the Verified Carbon Standard and we have consequently been issued a Carbon Neutrality Certificate.
In the future we hope to implement further measures such as:
- We are already in the process of decommissioning one of our legacy data centres but we’re also migrating another legacy data centre to another location and installing systems that allow us to monitor and manage power usage in a much more granular fashion than previously, equipment is also being replaced with newer, more energy efficient, systems.
- Wherever possible, we’re locating new client systems in Microsoft Azure so they will also benefit from Microsoft’s drive to Net Zero.
Declaration and sign off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
The assessment was carried out using the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate and Value Chain Standards. The organisation has accounted for all quantified GHG emissions and/or removals from facilities over which it has financial control. The assessment covers the reporting boundaries in line with the GHG Protocol Corporate standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors.